Benchmarking LNG & Gas Plants
We were making the wrong decisions based on assumptions that we had held to be true. The PTAI analysis revealed that we were not as competitive as we had believed. Our performance paradigms clearly had to be changed at the top and throughout the organization.”
“We did not fully understand how the margins on various product lines could be optimized. When we were able to see our costs in a true competitive context for the first time, we made some dramatic changes in our sales strategies that almost immediately improved our gross margins.”
SVP, Sales and Marketing
“We realized that our sales incentives did not fit our competitive strategy.”
Director of Sales
“Our competitive position had changed, but we were able to learn why and how to change course with reliable information. The type of benchmarking cleared our vision and gave us the facts to act.”
The Industry Leader in Benchmarking LNG & Gas Plants*
Shell Global Solutions International BV originally developed the Global Benchmarking Program for LNG Liquefaction Plants as well as Gas Separation Plants. It enables all of the participating owners and operators of these plants to compare their overall performance, and operating costs, against other plants on a worldwide basis. These programs compare metrics pertaining to energy use/costs, productivity, utilization, maintenance cost, labor costs, and Health & Safety. In 2009, Shell determined that it would no longer conduct any of LNG benchmarking programs that it had developed. Since the benchmarking programs were providing a valuable service to the participating companies, PTAI was selected by Shell based on its reputation, its history in working with and protecting confidential information, and its ability in providing a valuable, comparative metrics to the participants. Today, PTAI benchmarks over 75% of all the LNG produced worldwide and we conduct benchmarking programs for the entire LNG value chain.
The motivations and objectives of companies who participate in a benchmarking project are as diverse as the projects themselves. These are some of the more common objectives that our Clients have in participating in a peer group/benchmarking project:
- to quantify and understand their strengths and weaknessess relative to others in their industry
- to gain insight into their competitive position in their industry (or industry sector) on a regional or global basis
- to make changes in costs and operating practices that impact efficiencies across the enterprise
- to make discoveries allowing management to re-allocate capital and other resources for certain business units or for the company overall
- to determine how well their company (or business unit) is actually performing in the marketplace, rather than just against its own historical data
Benchmarking programs executed by PTAI ensure complete confidentiality of all parties and are in full anti-trust compliance.
Learn more about the benefits of benchmarking >>
An PTAI study for a new participating company will take the following steps:
- An initial site visit by a PTAI expert for a presentation of the program and training for personnel
- A focal point will coordinate and collect preliminary data.
- A follow-up visit by PTAI will be done to verify data and complexity assessments
- A presentation of the results will be made to management.
PTAI provides the following deliverables as part of the annual shipping study:
- Collection and validation of input data via a secured website
- Final Performance Report
- Graphs and data in secure, electronic form
- Senior management presentation and discussion of your fleet's performance highlighting competitive gaps
*This program is conducted under license from Shell Global Solutions International BV.
Contact Phillip Townsend Associates >>